We work with councils and their partners to help create a workforce able to respond to major changes within the public sector.
We have the very latest information and advice for managing the local government workforce in relation to COVID-19.
We will update these pages regularly and also provide information via the Workforce Team twitter account on @LGAWorkforce.
Schools' employment law webinar – 24 June 2021
Our new Diverse by Design guide captures 15 key steps to help local government employers to embed fair values, systems and behaviours throughout their organisation.
- School staff pay 2021 webinar – Tuesday 13 July 2021
- Local government workforce summary data – March 2021
- May 2021: We must keep the focus on mental health in the workplace - To support May’s Mental Health Awareness Week, Simon Blake, Chief Executive of Mental Health First Aid England, reflects on how the last year has made us focus on mental health and wellbeing and suggests ways that employers can learn from this as we start to reshape our work and workplaces.
- Workforce planning support offer 2021 – As part of the MHCLG improvement grant the LGA is providing up to 25 councils with targeted support on Strategic Workforce Planning in 2021.
- Developing hybrid working in local government – An overview of some of the key considerations of developing a hybrid working organisation and information about a series of round table events to help us to develop a hybrid working model for local government to use.
The LGA's guidance on the Job Retention Scheme is updated regularly
- LGA COVID-19 workforce survey summary reports are collated here. Councils can access their own and comparative data in LG Inform.
The Modification order
The primary significance of the Order is in relation to redundancy.
Responding to the COVID-19 recovery: building organisational development capacity in local government
The LGA and North West Employers are working together to support council’s OD professionals in the wake of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Timewise Councils Initiative
Supporting organisations to drive cultural change and best practice on flexible working, as a way to retain and attract the best talent, and maximise their performance.